Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Alabama Republicans and independents

[Below is email sent to Alabama Republicans]

From: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Subject: To Alabama Republicans re: AL 6th Cong'l district and HJR49
To: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>

As a candidate for Congress in the Alabama 6th Congressional district, my campaign, during the past month, has been charging that, in Washington DC, there is NOT government of the people, by the people, and for the people, and further that the causes of that condition are also causes of Congress being dysfunctional and not able to do its job properly for the American people.

I have been pressing for debate about this in the 6th Congressional district, including that I posted on the Internet this Open letter to the Alabama legislative delegation in Washington. My open letter noted that the alleged conditions that form the basis of my platform, if they exist, affect voters everywhere in the country, and not just in the 6th Congressional district.

Yesterday, I posted on the Internet a Second open letter to the Alabama delegation in Washington. This second letter has been instigated by this Convention of States Project.

The Project's website homepage says starkly,
The Federal Government is broken. Washington D.C. will never voluntarily relinquish its power. Left unchecked, the government will continue to bankrupt this nation and destroy the liberty of the people. It is time for citizens and the States to act and we have the solution.
The Project seeks to urge and empower state legislators to call a convention of states, which would propose amendments to the Constitution for limiting the power and jurisdiction of the federal government. 

Alabama is an early actor on an Article V convention of states application, and the Alabama House has passed HJR49. Information about HJR49 can be found at this link.

Whether you use the terminology "broken Federal Government" or "dysfunctional Congress," the matter affects voters everywhere, and not just in the Alabama 6th Congressional district.

In line with this, I wish to inform Alabama Republicans generally about the debate that is going on in the 6th Congressional district. I hope there are ways for the debate to be occur elsewhere in Alabama in the course of the 2014 elections.

Thank you very much for your attention to this email.

Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck
Candidate, AL 6th Congressional district


[Below is email correspondence sent to national independentvoting.org and three persons who have been active locally]

From: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Subject: Fwd: Possible independent candidacy in AL 6th Congressional district
To: jopdycke <jopdycke@cuip.org>
Cc: Nancy Ross <nross@cuip.org>, Gwen Mandell <gmandell@cuip.org>

Dear John,

The purpose of this email is to update Independentvoting.org about my candidacy in the Alabama 6th Congressional district. I decided to run in the Republican primary. I am strenuously pushing a "something is broken" campaign, and that all the citizens, Republicans, Democrats and independents, must act in concert to try to "fix it." See this email I sent yesterday to the Alabama Democratic party state and county chairs.

I don't know whether my candidacy and my efforts are anything independentvoting.org would choose to publicize to its members and contacts in the Alabama 6th Congressional district, but I hope it is.

Thanks.
Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>

Date: Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Subject: Fwd: Possible independent candidacy in AL 6th Congressional district
To: jopdycke <jopdycke@cuip.org>
Cc: nross@cuip.org, Gwen Mandell <gmandell@cuip.org>

Dear John,

I have a February 7th deadline to decide whether I want to try to be a party candidate or to be an independent candidate. If there is someone at independentvoting.org whom I could talk to in the next day or two about the decision I need to make, I would be very appreciative. If there is someone to talk to, please provide me their name and telephone number.

Thank you.
Rob


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 5:19 AM
Subject: Possible independent candidacy in AL 6th Congressional district
To: jopdycke <jopdycke@cuip.org>

Dear John,

Yesterday, I sent these two letters toe Alabama state Republican and Democratic parties. Depending on the response I receive, I may pursue the independent candidate route instead. I will keep you advised.

Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck

No comments:

Post a Comment