Instances of Congress performing well
1. Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (welfare reform)
I am unsure about these
1. No Child Left Behind
2. The Medicare Modernization Act of 2003. See Bush's drug prescription plan.
Instances of failure and poor performance
1. The Affordable Care Act is a monstrosity, borne from a grossly dysfunctional Congress.
2. Not paying for Iraq and Afghanistan wars and the associated huge Federal debt run up and increased Chinese holdings of U.S. Treasury bonds
3. Failure to take up Simpson-Bowles
4. Failure to undertake tax reform
5. Failure to pass an immigration law
6. Failure to address looming Social Security bankruptcy
7. Failure to address looming Medicare bankruptcy
8. Being a cause of the financial crisis by allowing Washington political class to balloon Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac for their own personal benefit and for the benefit of their Wall Street cronies
9. Role in recovery from financial crisis that has resulted in Wall Street and big banks being richer than ever and everyone else still struggling to get back.
10. The staggering and ever growing Federal debt Congress is not able to get under control.