Friday, January 31, 2014

Letters to Alabama GOP and Democratic parties

To Alabama GOP
 
From: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Subject: Inquiry re candidacy in 6th Congressional district
To: algop@algop.org
 
Dear Sir:
 
I believe that the country's system of governance is broken and that Congress has become disabled from properly functioning and properly making decisions and passing laws on behalf of the citizens.   This has become a widespread belief of others as well, and many persons are engaged in trying to diagnose the problem and make proposals about what should be done to try to fix it.
 
I believe this situation should be a subject of national and Congressional debate.  I agree with Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Lessig's contention that this should be the prime question before the American people at this time, because, unless and until it is addressed by the country, Congress will continue to be impaired in its proper functioning, and Congress will continue to fail to address in a proper way the numerous critical problems confronting the country.
 
I have endeavored to ask announced candidates for the House of Representatives in the 6th Congressional district about what they think about the foregoing.  My letter to the candidates can be found here.
 
I have not received any reply, and I do not think that the announced candidates will give this matter the attention I think it deserves.  As a result I would like to become a candidate myself.
 
I believe the deadline for filing to become a candidate in the Republican Party primary election is February 7th.  I also note that the filing papers call for the declaration "I am a Republican and I endorse and will actively support the principles and policies of the Republican Party."

I would like to have a telephone conversation with the someone from the Republican Party to discuss whether I can be a candidate in the Republican primary election for the 6th Congressional district.  If you would please provide me contact information for someone to talk with in the party organization, I would be thankful. 

Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck
3812 Spring Valley Circle
Birmingham
 
 
 
To Alabama Democratic Party
 
From: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Subject: Inquiry re candidacy in 6th Congressional district

Dear Sir:

I believe that the country's system of governance is broken and that Congress has become disabled from properly functioning and properly making decisions and passing laws on behalf of the citizens. This has become a widespread belief of others as well, and many persons are engaged in trying to diagnose the problem and make proposals about what should be done to try to fix it.

I believe this situation should be a subject of national and Congressional debate. I agree with Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Lessig's contention that this should be the prime question before the American people at this time, because, unless and until it is addressed by the country, Congress will continue to be impaired in its proper functioning, and Congress will continue to fail to address in a proper way the numerous critical problems confronting the country.

I have endeavored to ask announced candidates for the House of Representatives in the 6th Congressional district about what they think about the foregoing. My letter to the candidates can be found here.

I have not received any reply, and I do not think that the announced candidates will give this matter the attention I think it deserves. As a result I would like to become a candidate myself.

I do not see on party website a deadline for filing to become a candidate in the Democratic Party primary election. Also, although I am not sure, I think I have voted in Republican primary elections in the past.

I would like to have a telephone conversation with the someone from the Democratic Party to discuss whether I can be a candidate in the Democratic primary election for the 6th Congressional district. If you would please provide me contact information for someone to talk with in the party organization, I would be thankful.

Please be advised that I have sent to the Alabama Republican Party an email similar to this email.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck
3812 Spring Valley Circle
Birmingham
(205) 967-5586
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment