Friday, September 5, 2014

Trying to get local Symposium before Nov. 4th

I am working on trying to get a symposium in Birmingham before November 4th. My suggested symposium title is "The Condition of Our Federal Government, Campaign Finance, and Freedom of Speech." The Democratic candidate in the Alabama 6th Congressional district is Birmingham-Southern Professor Mark Lester, and I have started with the below proposal to Birmingham-Southern.


From: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Subject: Proposal to Birmingham-Southern for Symposium before Nov. 4th
To: Generalemail@bsc.edu

Office of Communications
Birmingham-Southern College
900 Arkadelphia Road
Birmingham, AL 

Dear Sir:

I ran in the Republican primary in the Alabama 6th Congressional district earlier this year and am continuing as a write in candidate. 

I am a supporter of MAYDAY.US, and my political goal is in line with MAYDAY's goals.

Recently Birmingham-Southern Professor Mark Lester replaced Avery Vise as the Democratic candidate in the Alabama 6th Congressional district general election on November 4th. I promptly wrote Professor Lester this Open letter to Professor Mark Lester. I do not know of any reaction or response of Professor Lester to my letter.

I think the subject matter in question is of great importance for our country, and the Birmingham metropolitan community should have interest in the subject and want to learn more about it.

I propose to Birmingham-Southern College that it hold a symposium on the subject. Such a symposium would probably attract greater interest if it was held before November 4th.

I think a good framing for such a Symposium would be a title such as "The Condition of Our Federal Government, Campaign Finance, and Freedom of Speech."

In your judging of the significance of this subject, I would point out that Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Lessig, the primary mover behind MAYDAY, has been listed as number 33 on POLITICO's "list of thinkers, doers, and dreamers who really matter in this age of gridlock and dysfunction".  See The POLITICO 50. (This list came out just today.)

I would be willing to help with the organization of any such symposium. I would be interested in being a participant, but I would be willing to help even if I was not a participant.

Thank you for your attention to this proposal to Birmingham-Southern College.

Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck
Mountain Brook, AL


[For further developments on this, go to Extension of Solicitation of Symposium before Nov. 4th.]

No comments:

Post a Comment