Monday, February 17, 2014

Other candidates on "of, by and for" people

[Email to the other candidates in AL 6th Congressional district] 
Gentlemen:
 
My platform is that I think that, in Washington DC, there is not government "of, by, and for" the people, and that the causes of that condition are also causes of the much talked about dysfunctionality of Congress, which I believe is preventing Congress from properly doing its job for the American people.
 
Today, my attention was called to Congressman Brooks, and I read his letter appearing on the front page of his website here.  I was struck by his statements in the letter about the extent of his diligence in working at providing service to his constituents.

My reaction to Congressman Brooks' statement about his service to his constituents was a a question to the effect of, "if every Representative in Congress is diligently serving their constituents the way you have been doing, how can I, in my platform, be contending that 'there is not government of, by, and for the people in Washington'?"  And. further, how can it be said that Congress is dysfunctional?

I emailed Congressman Brooks with these questions and asked for his reaction.
 
Because this is what my platform is about, I am going to put this on my blog, and I solicit your respective reactions as well.   (Please note that I am awaiting receiving email addresses for Scott and Tom.)
 
Thank you.
 
Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck
 
 
[my email to Congressman Brooks]
Dear Congressman Brooks,
 
I am a candidate in the 6th Congressional district Republican primary.
 
My platform is that I think that, in Washington DC, there is not government "of, by, and for" the people, and that the causes of that condition are also causes of the much talked about dysfunctionality of Congress, which I say is preventing Congress from properly doing its job for the American people.  (For an elaboration of this, please see my platform campaign statement here.)
 
I have read your letter on the front page of your campaign website, in which I see how diligently you have worked at serving your constituents.
 
My reaction to your statement of your diligent work is a question to the effect of, "if every Representative in Congress is diligently serving their constituents as you have been doing, how can I, in my platform, be contending that 'there is not government of, by, and for the people in Washington?'"  And. further, how can it be said that Congress is  dysfunctional?
 
Do you have any reaction to these questions of mine?
 
Thank you.
 
Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck

No comments:

Post a Comment