Sunday, March 19, 2017

Does politics make us idiots

From: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 7:41 PM
Subject: Does politics make us idiots re health care?
To: mkilgore@uab.edu

Meredith Kilgore PhD
Chairman
Department of Health Care Organization and Policy
UAB School of Public Health

Dear Dr. Kilgore:

I am endeavoring to absorb (mainly via the early morning and Sunday political talk shows) the debate about the American Health Care Act. I am trying to get a sense of what will result if it is enacted into law.

The bill has not been finalized, and significant changes are being negotiated. Also, the bill is only the first part of a multi-step legislative and regulatory plan, which could take many months to implement.

For various reasons, it seems preposterous to be able to have much sense of what will result if the American Health Care Act, and its follow ons, are put into effect.

While the proponents of the American Health Care Act will have control over the regulatory component, the additional legislative components will be subject to the uncertainties of future Congressional action.

The CBO report makes projections that are adverse to the proponents of the American Health Care Act.

The proponents try to deflect the CBO report by using speculative contentions that, I think, are dubious and not likely to play out the way the proponents say. Frankly, I don't know how the proponents actually believe what they say will happen.

Given that, it is understandable if I say our Alabama legislative delegation in Washington will not provide help to Alabamians who want a good sense of what will result with their health care under the American Health Care Act.

I have endeavored to say what I think in a blog, which you can find at Alabama expertise re health care.

I am sending this email to you because of your Department's orientation, which is described on the Department's website to be about the following,
"The collected laws, regulations, and approaches taken to making decisions and implementing policy to protect the health of communities and populations. Public health policy issues include a wide range of topics including health care reform, insurance reform, prevention of communicable diseases, food safety, and stem cell research."
That is exactly the academic expertise which I seek for my purpose.

We have no choice but to live with our politics. I believe our politics limits us in solving our problems. I believe the American Health Care Act is a good example.

I will post this email at Does politics make us idiots?

If you think our politics can do better than how I say it is doing regarding the American Health Care Act, that would be very significant. Please email me if that is the case. Otherwise I will understand if you do not reply.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment